Tuesday 3 September 2013

Flawless Foundation: Brush Beauties









Start with a bare face...see?  No one has perfect skin!  Especially not me :p












There's a great debate among many of us makeup-lovers as to what does it better: a brush or a sponge.  It's hard to really give a definitive answer because there are so many different brushes, sponges, and application techniques that give different finishes suited to each person's preferences.  Right now, I'm using a brush to apply my foundation, but that's just because I've been trying a new application technique.  Before about a month ago, I used my Beauty Blender almost every day.  So for you guys today I am going to share how I apply my foundation first with my brush and then with my sponge in a different post...this will be my first pictorial!

For the technique with my brush, I use a flat-top kabuki brush and a full coverage foundation (right now I'm using Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24H Foundation 310) because this technique blends out the foundation.  This is a fairly new technique for me and I'm loving it.  I picked it up from pinterest on a pin that someone had adapted from a beauty blogger/M.U.A. a while back...this is her website...though I added/changed a step or two I think :)



**note: if you have very dry skin, you might want to dampen your brush before application and avoid really matte full coverage foundations as this can highlight dryness.  Instead, opt for moisturizing foundations.



Before you begin this tutorial, please apply your foundation primer!  For this particular application, avoid primers that have silicone or a mattifying effect to them as this technique tends to leave a matte finish and you don't want to get cakey.  I use the Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer, but the Smashbox Hydrating Primer works well too, anything hydrating but oil free!





Step 1: Pump your foundation onto the back of your hand, or PAW PALETTE if you have one, into about the size of a quarter, mine kinda slid off to the side, but it looked like a quarter to begin with :p (I know it doesn't look like much, but this should be enough to cover your whole face).




Step 2: Dip your brush into the foundation and lightly dot the product along the outside of your face, nose, chin, and cheeks, but avoid your forehead for now (don't double dip here if you can help it, one dip should be enough).
















Step 3: Start at the borders of your face and stipple the product inward in tight motions.  If you usually apply foundation under your eyes and on your eyelids, take a little more product on the edge of your brush and stipple it there as well.  Avoid the area around your mouth where you get any smile lines (I promise we'll fix this in a sec).  And don't forget to blend around your nose really well!







Step 4: Use whatever is left over on the brush on your upper lip and below your mouth (still avoid those smile lines!)


Step 5: Take a little more product and stipple across your forehead and into the hair line.  The skin above your hair line is usually much lighter than your face and it can look like you have a mask on if you skip this step.



Step 6:  Take what is left of the product on your hand and dot it under your jawline.  Blend the product up into your face in stippling motions and slightly down onto your neck to avoid a harsh line.  Also blend the product a little where your ears connect to your face as the colour difference can be noticeable here too.


Step 7: Your entire face should be covered now except for that area around your smile lines, so take whatever is left on your brush (even if it looks like nothing) and stipple that area.  Continue to stipple all over your face to really blend the foundation.


Step 8: And this is the gooder!  Buff your foundation using the same brush in small, circular motions all over your face, including your hair line, under your eyes, and your eyelids.  This is going to help give you a skin-like finish and make any imperfections look less visible.  Do this 2 or so times, or until your foundation feels just a little bit tacky.


Step 9:  Apply your cream-based products (concealer, highlight, contour, etc.)


Step 10: LET YOUR FOUNDATION SET!!  This is so important and many of us often forget this, but you only need to wait about 5 minutes (I use this time to do my eyebrows).  After your face has set, take a kleenex or tissue and blot all over to remove any excess product.  Pay extra attention to the areas around and under your eyes and on your eyelids as foundation tends to collect and crease here.  If you have large pores like me, avoid blotting your nose.


Step 11: Apply loose powder (setting, coloured, or otherwise) with a puff or precision powder brush.  Do not sweep the powder over your face, but instead press and/or roll it onto your skin, especially under the eyes and around the nose.



Step 12:  Apply any powder products now (blush, bronzer, etc.)



I know this seems like a lot of steps, but it actually only takes about 10 minutes total once you've done it a few times and have gotten the hang of it :) I find that this technique really gives a nice matte finish and helps increase the staying power of your makeup, especially in full coverage foundations.  





I still top my whole look after everything is done with Urban Decay De-Slick Setting Spray to set everything and control oil throughout the day!









The lighting in the final look is different than the pictures I took throughout the tutorial because the light in my bathroom (where I do all my makeup) is different.  It was too much of a pain in the butt to constantly change rooms to take pictures and I didn't want my foundation to set before I was done blending :(  BUT I think you still get a good idea of the steps I took and what your final product should look like :)  Of course it takes a little bit of practice to get it looking just the way you want it, but if you like a nice, matte, porcelain look, this technique might just be for you!  You can customize the steps to your liking, like I did, until you get it just right.  So play around with this!  Try different foundations, different cream and powder products...just have fun!  Next pictorial will be the sponge alternative to this technique!  Let me know in the comments section what you thought of this and how your experience with this technique was!  I'd love to hear from you all!  Also let me know if there is anything else you would like to see!  Stay beautiful <3

Make-Up, not War,

Rain xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment