Thursday 29 August 2013

Inspiration for Looks

Though I do love creating my own personal looks, sometimes it's fun to try to re-create looks from other makeup artists.  I like doing this for a number of reasons.  First, I get to see how my skills measure up to other artists and second, I just get to challenge myself!  I almost always add my own flare to a look I recreate (whether it's because I want to, or because I made a mistake and just roll with it :p) because it adds a bit of my own personality.  As you know, I've been sick lately and yesterday I found out that it's pneumonia :(  It's not really that bad, it's just persistent and annoying for sleeping because it gets difficult to breathe when I lay down.  In spite of all that though, I still want to practice my artistry and create looks for you guys!  It actually helps me to focus on something other than my sickness and...well, who doesn't likw feeling pretty at any hour?!

I know I said that next up would be a foundation pictorial, but by the time I got home last night, there was no natural light left (as you'll see by the lighting in the pictures I took of last night's makeup).  I want to make sure I have the best lighting for a foundation tutorial so you can all see exactly what I'm doing and exactly how it looks in the end!  I might be able to do it tomorrow evening and post on Saturday, but if not it will get done Sunday and posted Monday :)  Last night's look was inspired by a fabulous makeup artist who calls herself sugarpants on Instagram.  She is totally beautiful and extremely talented.  I modified her look just a bit, but you can see the original here.



In sugarpants' look, I'm pretty sure she used a soft lavender eyeshadow on the lid with her black liner over top (she also used faux lashes, which I did not).  I am still perfecting my cat-eye liner, but hers is absolutely flawless.  One day I'll get there beauties, and when I do, I'll show you how!








Instead of the soft lavender that sugarpants used, I pulled out my Stila Stay All Day Liquid Liner felt-tipped pen in Sky Blue and lined my lid with this first.  I made the line much thicker than I normally would because I then went over the lower portion with my Bobbi Brown Black Gel Liner.
















Unlike my inspiration's look, I brought the black liner down onto my lower lashline and over about halfway.  I tightlined my upper lashes and lined my full lower lid with Marc Jacobs Gel Highliner in Blackquer (which I LOVE btw, and though it's called "gel" it is a pencil liner with an AMAZING texture) and then came my Diorshow Maximizer and Diorshow Iconic Overcurl Mascara.  I also dabbed a wee bit of iridescent powder with a blue colour on the corners of my eyes, but you can't see it very well :(  Lighting is everything guys!








For the lips, I didn't have quite the right vampy purple-ish red, so I mixed my Mac Rebel Lipstick and a deep red colour I had laying around from Avon (I'm not sure what the colour is).  It's not quite what I was hoping to get, but I like it anyways!  The colour I REALLY wanted would have been Urban Decay's Revolution Lipstick in Shame, but this works too!  And it's my first lip concoction :)






I like this look a lot because the blue adds a brightening aspect to the eyes while still being sexy with the black eyeliner and deep lipstick.  This will probably be something I rock in early fall!  Join me? ;)

















This look was fairly easy to accomplish and can be modified easily as well.  So if you want to use pencil liner or liquid, you definitely could!  I could also see this looking nice with VVS Lipsynch or another pale lavender lipstick or a pale pink!  If you have any questions about this look or anything you want to see me do, PLEASE let me know in the comments section and I will do my best to make aaallll your wishes come true!  Stay beautiful <3

Mak-Up, not War,

Rain xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment