Friday 23 August 2013

Retro Glamour


In this look, I used Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Powder Duo in Medium Brown, Bobbi Brown Gel Liner, Dior Iconic Overcurl Mascara, and Makeup Forever Mat 8 Lipstick.  I like the clean look, but if you bring the liner down onto the lower lash line and add some mascara on the lower lashes, you get a sexier, more intense look. - check out the pic below!


Same lipstick, liner and mascara, but used a darker brow powder and brought down the liner onto the lower lashes.  Also used a filter because the lighting was bad!  See my previous post on lighting !

One of the easiest ways to do a fast, but glamorous look is to go with the classics: cat-eye liner and a red lip.  This look is simple, fast, and almost anyone can pull it off.  It screams old Hollywood and it is personally one of my favourite go-to looks.  A lot of people think they can't pull of red lipstick, but pretty much everyone can, you just have to find the right red.  There are maroon reds, blue-reds, orange-reds, and pink-reds...finding the right one for your skin tone is essential.  I personally like the blue-reds because they make your teeth look whiter and they are usually a deeper, truer red.  Maroons are also beautiful and a deep wine colour looks great on EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE.

I find that the biggest obstacle for wearing red lipstick for most people is that they are just not used to seeing their face with a bright lip like that.  Wearing an intense colour on your lips actually shifts the focus of your face and so many people are just unsettled by the sight...keep wearing it!  It gets better the more you wear it because you get used to it.  Another tip is to try a matte red instead of a high gloss to start out.  Matte's stay put and they are also just less shocking than something shiny or glossy; it'll be easier to get used to.  I NEVER used to wear anything but nudes and nude-pinks, but then I tried a red and just kept doing it...now I love bright and unique colours and rock them whenever I can!

A lot of people seem to have trouble with the winged liner as well, and with good reason!  It can definitely be hard to get the hang of.  Most people go for a liquid liner, which can look beautiful, but is often hard to control because the formula is liquid and can be runny.  For beginners, I honestly recommend investing in a gel liner and a good brush.  You get a much more precise application and the formula stays where you put it, plus you can experiment with different shapes!  I also like that most gel liners dry matte instead of high-gloss like liquid liners.  Just my personal preference though!  My favourite gel liner is Bobbi Brown and the brush from that line is also a must...the shape allows for much more freedom in your application.  If you're set on a liquid liner though, I really like the Sephora Collection Longwear Liquid Liner or the Stila Stay All Day Liner, which comes in a pen style applicator (the Dior Artpen is also really great).  Just play around!  You'll find the product, shape, and colours that work best for you....promise!

Make-Up, not War,

Rain xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment